COUNT-DOWN TO EARTH DAY, 22 APRIL 2012
In ten days, we will celebrate the 42nd anniversary of Earth Day.
The Earth Day Network was founded on the premise that all people, regardless of race, gender, income, or geography, have a moral right to a healthy, sustainable environment.
More about earth day history.
Let the count-down begin and what better way to celebrate Mother Earth than to take some personal actions…
- DAY 1 : Use public transport – leave the car at home.
- DAY 2 : Walk/bike to school/work – good exercise for all.
- DAY 3 : Install water barrel at home . See “Survive a dry summer”.
- DAY 4 : Install water saving devices in toilet and shower. See water footprint.
- DAY 5 : Recycle/compost your waste. See food matters.
- DAY 6 : Install 10 CFLs to replace your old incandescent ones – uses 80% less electricity, last up to 10 times longer than ordinary light-bulbs, reduces CO2 emissions.
- DAY 7 : Turn off electronics currently on standby (Electronics use ~ 40% of energy in standby), recycle old electronics. See “Send your Electronics Waste to a better place”.
- DAY 8 : Turn down heat 1°C/wear jumpers – saves ~ €100 per year.
- DAY 9 : Eat locally/seasonally.
- DAY 10 : Eat what you buy/use leftovers – we throw away about 1/3 of the food we buy. See food matters.
Other actions you can do.