VOICE is a non-governmental Charity established in 1997 following the withdrawal of Greenpeace Ireland. Initially VOICE took on a mandate of water quality issues but this mandate extended to include climate change issues, water, waste management and forestry.
VOICEs membership represents people from across Ireland and reflects the growing concern that Irish people have for the quality of their environment and the way in which it is legislated for.
VOICE promotes a respectful relationship with the Earth and positive solutions to environmental destruction. We encourage a way of life in harmony with nature rather than in conflict with it.
• To inform the public on environmental policy.
• To facilitate the participation of local community, regional and national stakeholders in expressing their concerns on environmental policy.
• To ensure the formulation of long term sustainable environmental policies.
• To influence public policy at a government level.
• To provide informed critical analysis and propose valid alternatives where appropriate to misinformed and short sighted government environmental policy.
VOICE has working relationships with Local Authorities and contributes to and supports the work of other members of the ENGO community in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Europe.
VOICE patrons include Darina Allen, Christy Moore, Pauline Bewick, Dick Warner, Don Conroy, John Feehan, Brendan Kennelly and Sr. Mary Minehan.