VOICE is a member-based Irish environmental charity that empowers individuals and local communities to take positive action to conserve our natural resources.
It also advocates for the government and the corporate sector to adopt environmentally responsible behaviours, and for the development of strong national policies on waste and water issues.
VOICE was founded in 1997 and its achievements and activities include:
- The introduction of the plastic bag tax in Ireland which was adopted as a national policy in 2001.
- Co-founding the Irish Environmental Network (formerly the Environmental and Ecological NGO, EENGO) in 2001.
- Founding the Sustainable Water Network (SWAN) in 2004. This is an umbrella network of 25 leading environmental organisations dedicated to improving water quality in Ireland under the Water Framework Directive.
- Being the leading Irish environmental organisation promoting sustainable waste management policies. This includes consistently fighting against the construction and operation of waste incinerators in Ireland; making policy submissions to government on waste management policy; and informing public debate on waste.
- Coordinating Ireland’s first ‘Feeding the 5,000’ public awareness event in Dublin in 2012 to highlight the environmental and social plight associated with food waste.
- Inspiring and participating in other food waste-related events throughout the country, including UCC’s and UCD’s ‘Feeding the 500’, Galway’s ‘Disco Soup’ and Cork’s ‘Feeding the City’.
- Providing practical assistance in food waste reduction to communities through the Environmental Protection Agency’s ‘Stop Food Waste’ initiative.
- Developing a ‘Food Rescue’ pack for communities to hold their own small-scale ‘Feeding the 5,000’ type events with food that would otherwise have been thrown away.
- Campaigning since the early 2000s for the removal of fluoride from Ireland’s drinking water.
- Inputting into the development of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Forest Management Standards for Ireland.
VOICE patrons include Darina Allen, Christy Moore, Pauline Bewick, Dick Warner, Don Conroy, John Feehan, Brendan Kennelly and Sr. Mary Minehan.
VOICE Fundraising & Governance
The VOICE board has adopted a resolution to adopt the Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising and confirms that VOICE is committed to complying with the Statement (see: Board Resolution Fundraising Statement).
We are in the process of developing fundraising policies and will adhere to the highest fundraising standards.
VOICE is also in the process of developing its governance policy, which will be adopted in 2015.
To illustrate our commitment to transparency, we are making available our VOICE Articles and Memorandum of Association.
For further information on our finances see: 2014 Annual Audited Accounts.
Our latest annual report is here.